We had a few more goodies ready in addition to yesterday’s harvest.
What the hell is that you ask? THAT y’all is The Shit.
GD Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, Green Bean Salad
- tomatoes – we had red cherries, orange cherries and a yellow heirloom ripen for today’s version
- minced hot pepper – we had a jalapeno
- blanched green beans – we had lovely rattlesnake beans (a bit sweeter than your average green bean)
- chopped cilantro – we cut some of our greek cilantro leaves and cut them into ribbons
- chipotle ranch dressing (a little of this goes a long way)
- whatever greens are available – we happened to have a little romaine and red oak leaf (a nice bitter kick) left from our final GD harvest last week
- leftover bacon crumbles from breakfast
In a bowl, mix all ingredients except the lettuce and bacon. To plate, pour this over a bed of lettuce and sprinkle with bacon.
It was delicious. So delicious in fact that we inhaled it before we even touched our steak.
On a side note. Our lettuce did not do too well this year. We had an early heat wave, which caused most of it to bolt. The only advantage to this was that the heirloom arugula flowered and went to seed. I harvested the seed pods and dried them. I think I’ll dedicate a whole two or three rows just to arugula next year. It’s peppery flavor really brightens up a salad or sandwich.